SINGLE REVIEW: Nicki Minaj – Yikes

It was only five months ago that Nicki Minaj announced her retirement from music, but unsurprisingly here we are again. 

Preparing the release of her forthcoming fifth studio album, Minaj has rolled out a promotional single that hears her firing back after a three month social media and public appearance hiatus. 

‘Yikes’ is a song for her fans. It’s a song that addresses shady people in her life that just won’t leave her alone and seem to need to thrive off the drama to stay relevant. And by people she’s really referencing her ex Meek Mill in about 95% of the song, while the other 5% is dedicated to her haters. 

“Don’t ever fucking play with me. Y’all n***** know, y’all bitches know, I’m the fucking queen” she raps during the opening moments of the song before getting even harder and sassier with her quick jabs. 

But it’s the main hook line, “Yikes, I play tag and you it for life. Yikes, you a clown, you do it for likes”, that is really becoming the memorable moment on the track. 

Continuing the sonical reclaim of her roots that ‘Queen’ redefined, she confidently embraces the simplicity of hip-hop and just raps over the strong beat with her signature fiery delivery. 

This isn’t a song for radio, this is a song for her fans who will proudly blast this little “fuck you anthem” and celebrate the fact that she’s not retiring. Well, not yet anyways.