Amy Meredith Interview
Don’t let the name confuse you, Amy Meredith is not the name of a Pop Singer it’s the name of an Australian pop/rock band who with their infectious songs have won the hearts of teenagers nationwide. Their debut album ‘Restless’ introduced their two smash hit singles ‘Pornstar’ and ‘Lying’ to mainstream radio and allowed them to tour with the likes of Evermore, Good Charlotte, Tonight Alive and perform at the Sydney Big Day Out 2011. In 2011 the band took most of the year off to work on album number two and have just recently released their new single ‘Pick Your Tricks’ which is now available on ITunes. Thomas Bleach recently spoke to guitarist Cameron Laing about touring with Good Charlotte, new album, fans and their new single ‘Pick up Your Tricks’. Check out the chat below.
1. This is a game I like to play with the people I interview; I am going to state a few sentences and you have to complete them with the first things that come to your head.
– My ultimate music festival line up would be… Blink 182, The Killers, Muse, Daft punk and The Darkness.
– Something that no one knows about us is that… We are all half brothers from another mother
– If I had superpowers they would be…The ability to make people feel as if they owed me money and hadn’t paid it back yet.
– I don’t usually… Flush the toilet
– My favourite song at the moment is… Weezer – Train Wreck
– My favourite Disney character is… Donald Duck
2. Your new single ‘Pick Up Your Tricks’ sees the band creating a heavier electronic sound than previous material from your debut album ‘Restless’ Why did you decide to do this creative change?
= We realised that it’s easier to fist pump to techno and that everybody loves Daft Punk.
3. The band has taken most of the year off to write and record for a new record. How has that process been going?
= It has been going great! We’ve spent most of our time abroad in London, New York and L.A writing and recording new music and as far as we can tell, its sounding pretty amazing..
4. When can we expect the new album to be released? Does the album follow the trend of ‘Pick Up Your Tricks’ and introduce the heavier electronic sound?
= Don’t get me wrong, synths are awesome and we have tried to incorporate a newer sound to the new songs but at the end of the day we are still a five piece band with guitars and live drums so there is still a lot of rhythm and lead guitar for your listening pleasure. We tried to balance it out as best we could, some songs are more guitar based as opposed to others like ‘Pick Up Your Tricks’ which are a lot more electronic sounding.. We think it works.
5. Something which was missing from ‘Restless’ was a ballad. Will your fans finally hear a ballad or not just yet?
= Yes! Think Celine Dion’s ‘My Heart Will Go On” meets Whitney Houston’s ‘I Will Always Love You’.
6. Your fanbase is extremely dedicated, you must feel blessed to have them behind you very step of the way.
= We love our fans very much. Each and everyone one of them. They are what drives us to be better at what we do. Without the fans we would be nothing. Literally.
7. You just supported Good Charlotte on their JD Set tour. How was the experience? Were you big fans of the band before you toured with them?
= We all grew up listening to Good charlotte and it was amazing to actually go on tour with them, even if it was only a few shows. They are the coolest guys and so so nice. They spoke to us like we were old mates from way back. We hung out with them after the shows and had drinks all night. They are really down to earth dudes. We definitely made some new friends.
8. What has been your craziest touring moment to date?
= We travelled to Afghanistan to play for the troops and did 6 shows on about 5 different military bases in Dubai and in Afghanistan. It was the craziest experience of my life to date. We heard some crazy stories from the troops and got to fire hand guns and machine guns out on the fire range. We even had a few rocket attacks during one of our shows one night. I’m not going to lie, I shat myself.
9. Do you believe that the music industry these days focuses on Imagery over artistry?
= Some bands look the part, but aren’t much to listen to. You’ll find they don’t get very far either. You’ll find that bands or artists that do really well are usually quite talented at what they do and I think people respect that a lot more.
Amy Meredith’s New Single ‘Pick Up Your Tricks’ is now available on ITunes and a new album will be released later in 2012.